Saturday, February 04, 2012

analysing the ridiculousity that is Christina Perri's 'A Thousand Years'

Heart beats fast
Colors and promises
How to be brave

That's cute, starting a song with these insipid fragments. What does the line "Colors and promises" mean? Perri's being deliberately elliptical but this will probably elude her Twilight-lovin' audience.

How can I love when I’m afraid to fall

At first glance, this is a striking line because of its sincere questioning, as if negotiating the rough, ruddy landscapes of love and longing. On a deeper level, the cultural connotation of "misunderstood, skinny bitch" is poignant because the opening line "Heart beats fast" speaks volumes of the speaker's rich inner life.

But watching you stand alone
All of my doubt suddenly goes away somehow

Why? Why does "watching you stand alone" mean that your doubt "suddenly" goes away "somehow"?? This is where the speaker has erred. If s/he's standing alone, maybe there's a very good reason for it. It feels like the object of the speaker's sexual desire is brooding and introspective — the modern day Byronic hero if you would so generously admit — but this being a song from Twilight requires a consideration of complex cultural codes, most of which are deceptively complex.

One step closer

To?? To what? To whom? Where and whence?? How and why??

I have died everyday waiting for you

Cute lyrics! It feels a lot like it's saying (obliquely, of course) "hey come listen to this sad song while you drink that frappe, you'll look very attractive"

Darling don’t be afraid I have loved you

If you think s/he's afraid, it's probably RAPE. 

For a thousand years
I’ll love you for a thousand more

OH I get it now, it's a about handsome vampire singing to a girl that he loves. This love song makes sense to me!!

Time stands still

Perri employs the use of irony because time "stands still" but the speaker can still hold out for "a thousand years." I guess I am rendered asunder by the brilliance of her wit. 

Beauty in all she is

Do I have to ask: what if she were ugly

I will be brave

Uh huh

I will not let anything take away

Except her VIRGINITY, you thousand year old rapist.

What’s standing in front of me

Is this question even necessary? You're gonna have beautiful vampire children.
 
Every breath
Every hour has come to this

Ooooh anaphora. This song has literary roots in deep stuff like Dickens and MLK.

One step closer

Wait for it, wait for it...

I have died everyday waiting for you
Darling don’t be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I’ll love you for a thousand more 

The chorus repeats itself for our listening pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment