Saturday, January 05, 2013

technology

I am 21 and my maid* is back with delicious Pinoy snacks, and I am** in the kitchen inhaling Vietnamese coffee (a vanilla spiciness, the sticky-sweet milk pooling at the bottom of the glass) and reading** Henry Miller's essays, and my friends are dispersed around the globe, and I am at home, and all is well.***

* I wanted to say "domestic helper" but it's not politically correct to discredit the dignity that being a maid entails. It is an honorable profession that only the brave take up, I guess.
** Obviously I should be using "was" but in using the present-continuous tense I am trying to achieve the effect of being "in the moment," of that immediacy of feeling that I have just undermined by calling into artifice the notion of writing about experience.
*** Is all well? Most are well. Not everything is "well" but it's not fruitful to discuss the well-ness of everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment