Saturday, February 09, 2013

i am tormented by the ghosts of a thousand pineapple sharecroppers

Reunion dinner, 2013: My grandmother has returned from a 1.5 month-long stay at various hospitals; I have returned to a life of civility and sanctimony, having leapt over the strange crevasse of a 22-month internment in Absurdistan, older and definitely none the wiser; the sky is decrepit and grey; in everything there is a dark opacity. 

Language forming the texture of everyday life: Points of Argument, Application Questions, invalid data, Bedok, White Paper, National Identity, Please log-in with your username and password, Tap to continue.

Items removed from the oven: pineapple tarts, roasted carrots, reheated lunches, charred aubergines, sugee cake, hot water.

I would trade-in the following for a better attention span: my eyebrows, 5 books, 12 magazines, a new wallet, a tray of cookies, the ability to crack my knuckles, Asiatic hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment