Sunday, December 20, 2009

I will be strong

Because my parents are finally coming back today (will I still recognize them?), Christabel's coming back, the Andreas are both coming back, the TIP people have already come back, friends-of-friends are flying home from exotic locales in time for Christmas, and I'll be spending my holidays looking through all their vacation photos on Facebook. Apart from wondering What Could Have Been had I flown off elsewhere too (far, far away from Southeast Asia), I can't help but feel a little smug knowing that it's people like me who can only bestow meaning on their snapshots through the act of interpretation, whereby I am the only person who can enjoy the special Interpreter-Interpreted relationship significant to no one but myself.

Then again, I did enjoy my trip to Hanoi, just that I'm still bitter that it has to be so work-related.

Anyway, I'm back from YF camp. I was part-timing, that is to say, only making guest appearances, because I had to be away from camp for most of its duration. Some people were telling me how good the last message was, because it tied up the entire camp very well, and I can only wish that I had been there - choir practices and holiday project meetings beckoned, unfortunately. (In many ways, I am extremely glad that my phone is not working and it is my wish that it can stay this way for the next year.) The camp has been a good reminder of God's reality in my life, and more than any other reminder, I've learnt many things about a relationship with God that I've never really bothered grappling with till now.

Also, the first caroling gig of the season was fine. It was at a CC (think Aunties and Uncles doing a mass dance on stage) and the smoke machine suddenly went off during the second bar of O Come All Ye Faithful. I hope my batch isn't cursed with venues with bad acoustics. That would be most depressing. The experience, however, did not make this a fruitless effort. (I'll let you in on a secret: I've never once gone caroling before.) It was fun while it lasted, and I'm looking forward to something better on the 24th!

In other news, Christmas is coming! I am stating the obvious because anywhere you go, there'll be a hideously creepy effigy of Santa followed by a pack of dubious looking elves. As if that can incite merriment with the immediacy with which they so suggest. But more importantly, I still need to get presents and I have not started on Christmas cards! I do not want a repeat of last year's yuletide horror, when I found myself writing Christmas cards a week after Christmas. But I'm still excited anyway. *excitement*

No comments:

Post a Comment