Tuesday, December 29, 2009

pictures of Christmas Eve dinner







Funny story! I was taking a nap in the afternoon, and my grandmother kept disturbing me (she ALWAYS does this when I try to catch some shut-eye in the afternoon even though she encourages nap time) and telling me to start preparing dinner (only in Bahasa because she prefers that language nowadays) and I was like, no, please go away, dinner is tomorrow. Tomorrow. The day after today.

Then I woke and realized, with terror, that it was Christmas Eve and people usually have Christmas Eve dinner, not Christmas dinner. (Actually, this is untrue, but I'm just pandering to popular thought in my household here, and everyone's hankering for an early feast.)

So this was my Christmas dinner: we had potato and leek soup, a naked salad, ribs braised in red wine and balsamic vinegar reduction, rosemary chicken, roasted vegetables and Christmas pudding! My mum and I finished the kitchen work at 8 PM, but everyone forgave us because the food was so good.

Today, I celebrated by 18th birthday with boomxsx (no official spelling) and we went to Watami at Ion! I had the best birthday outing of my life ever! (Then again, I don't remember having outings in honour of my birthday because everyone's still comatose from Christmas and New Year and First Day of School.) THEY GAVE ME A KINO VOUCHER. This has won over my heart. AND MACARONS. (Albeit expensive ones from a noobie tea lounge wannabe, but still the cake with yoghurt frosting was pretty delectable.)

Also, I can't forget the picnic with CTITW minus Andrea at Marina Barrage. Being a class above the common people, (sniff), we had camembert and crackers, eclairs, chicken and assorted sushi. Then we gave in to the more primal urges and threw in a pack of potato chips for good measure. Once again, we had to battle the elements: it was sunny and windy when we first arrived, and about half an hour into our lunch, it started to drizzle and then rain. We took cover inside, and were chased away by an annoyed cleaner who wanted to mop the floor. We then decided to seek refuge in the café inside and lounged about on plush suede covered couches while looking wistfully into the horizon/flipping through Her World (Shiyun's great idea). After hanging out for most of the afternoon, we went to the OC (I feel very urban, saying that) and bought stationery from Urban Write. Angeline found a 20 % discount coupon after purchasing her items, which Shiyun and I very gladly used to our benefit.

So I guess my holidays have been well-spent! (in many senses of the word "spent.") Am currently reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson (an interesting pairing of texts), and still devouring the Beat Reader. Some Beats are interesting to read about and have written beautiful, moving and slightly profane things about an idealism which they so strive attain through somewhat furtive/non-furtive means, but a handful are annoying in their stasis - they seem to dwell on the same aspects of their struggles over and over again but after a while their pained introspection of self-afflicted misery seems a tad redolent of the grating emo poems of today, while lacking the carefully interwoven meaning by confessional poets like Plath and Sexton. But I'll leave that for my IS! I'm still forming perspectives and brainstorming possible angles. Sometimes painful, but mostly fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment