Friday, May 06, 2011

anterior

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss BMT so much. Conversations went something like this:

"What delightful croissants we have been gifted for breakfast this morning. Oh, why, hullo there! I'm Samuel — and you are?"
"Oh my! What an amusing coincidence! I am also Samuel! What a pleasant day it is."
"Indeed! I hear you are from __(__)? Do you know of a certain ____?)
"_____? Of course! I have worked with him before. We attended a theoretical physics conference in Geneva just last June. A highly esteemed and diligent gentleman, our man ____ is. I believe he is worthy of all our respect. May the road rise to meet him, may the wind be always at his back, and may the sun shine warm upon his face wherever life may lead him."
"Amen to that, old chap!"
"Ha! Ha! I would be slapping my leg with the jolliest laughter now, had the sergeant not glared at us from that table."

This is all made-up hyperbole. But the contrast between normal conversation and all that gaiety is similar to the contrast between the primitive Neanderthal grunting I hear everyday now and normal conversation. Yay, analogies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment