Friday, September 16, 2011

give me a back massage and I will love you forever

Hey you guys! I've started on a new art project!

It's a diptych and this afternoon I have just started work on the first panel. I have cut up a 2001-era map of Singapore into strips that I then pasted on stretched canvas. It's a meditation on the topographies and taxonomies of memory, how I relate to my sense of place, and how the work of memory necessarily pieces and un-pieces fragments in a mysterious pattern I am not entirely cognizant of. This is probably going to change as I add on more layers of these fragments.

The formal qualities of this piece returns to the idea of making approximations — each strip and fragment is measured and cut with less attention to precision than to the sensation of fibre tearing and giving. I suppose this gives the act of creation a sense of the aleatoric and arbitrary, even the sensual. But it is in no way an invitation into an allegorical realm. The piece is not an allegory of our increasingly fragmented sense of nation, but rather, a subjective insight into a personal sense of dislocation and of, sense of, sense of, sense of, sense of, sense of, sense of

Obviously you can tell that I haven't planned this well enough. But the idea is, I am going to do a collage of old maps and it's inspired by dislocation/distance/departures/development/disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment