Monday, February 13, 2006

Singles' Awareness Day

Tomorrow is Singles' Awareness Day. Wear a black tulip to show your concern in this area of forgotten society.

Or was that some other flower? I forgot.

So I'm spending Valentine's Day alone. Yep. Roses? Song dedications? Clichéd confessions of undying love? Excitement and surprise? I don't really give a damn. Everyone's level of dying anticipation wouldn't really affect me, I always tell myself the night before. Afterall, what is Valentine's Day but an event on the 14th of February made up by die-hard romantics as a means of self-gratification? It is pointless and depressing. Perhaps this day might serve as a reminder to jilted hopefuls of the existance of reality. Unfortunately.

So today I stayed back til around 5 pm to do roses for the Valentine's choir fund-raising project. Think: non-stop wrapping of 700 roses. Think: Take rose. Insert into carrier. Cut thorns. Cut leaves. Trim Stem. Apply cotton wool and aluminium foil. Set aside. Repeat seven hundred times. Think: bloodstained hands.

It's rather depressing to realize that your friends are receiving these wonderful, lovingly packaged roses, not you. They will receive them in front of you. You become the accidental audience of an act of psuedo-self-glorification and display of affection. You grimace; does everything on Valentine's day have to be so pro-social, pro-procreation, anti-life-of-bitter-bachelorhood/bachelorettehood? In this sense, you are packaging and getting ready for your own lack
of love life.

Or maybe am I just describing every Valentine's Day I have ever had? Should I start mentally preparing for a destined life of no dates, no chocolates and no candle-light meals? I sometimes delude myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment