Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Does This Mean You're Moving On

Because I can't think of clever, one-word titles to label my posts, I'm going to name each one after a random emo song from now on. (much like they do on One Tree Hill?)

I need to talk about Hong Kong! There aren't enough blogs out there that talk about Hong Kong, how odd. The night before my flight, I was frantically searching all over the Web for random snippets that might suddenly become useful, but nope. Nada. Zilch.

Why I am swearing off mangoes for the rest of the year


Want to know what that is?? They called it Mango Pudding in Mango Juice with Extra Mango, and I was badly traumatized when I saw the huge scoop of mango ice-cream that they slopped lovingly in the centre of the bowl.
Ok, I exaggerate. Actually, it was kinda good. But then again, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing (unless it's chocolate).


There was also Gui Ling Gao. Which made me think twice about consuming food that is rarely described in English, because I had only just learnt that the 'Gui' in Gui Ling Gao was really turtle shell, as the menu there had so kindly pointed out. Shocked, I tried turning to mother for reassurance and consolation, but in a matter-of-factly tone, she informed me that if I have eaten jelly, then I could eat Gui Ling Gao as well. And as usual, I shouldn't have asked why, because my parents started talking about how they get jelly from animal bones, and started to talk about their vegan friend etc. etc.


There was also this mango and pomelo/grapefruit dessert that was rather refreshing, but annoyingly has a bitter aftertaste, presumably from the grapefruit and pomelos.



And according to the table, we had to order our food within three minutes or else we'd get chased out.

Why I had to go on a low-carb low-fat diet right after the trip


Cuts of meat in HK are much juicier and tastier, not to mention generous. Went crazy with the Char Siew. Felt slightly sick.

Why I'm having difficulty adjusting to the MRT again



The platforms there are really cool. They are slightly longer than the average MRT station, and the Central interchange station is this really cool maze of different platforms and funky mosaic tiles.


At the MTR, we witnessed a miracle! Everyone actually queued up to enter the train, while letting the communters inside exit first! And everyone kept to their right when they went up the escalators. It's like some unwritten rule, or something.
During peak hour, the movements are largely mechanical, because it's all 1) Emerge, 2) Walk up the escalator, 3) Tap card, 4) Keep on walking, and all at the speed of not less than 20 km/h! But that's just a rough estimate. I felt like I was caught up in a daily-occurring human tsunami.

Andthenwewentshoppingandeatingthenwetookaplanehome.

Oh, did I mention we went to Macau for one day too? My cameraphone died on me, so I have no photographs!! :(





I miss Hong Kong!!

(Note that the date that I started typing the first paragraph was a week ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment