Tuesday, March 24, 2009

only slightly macabre

I am sitting in my chair in silence and pain as I write this.

Nah, I'm not exactly moody or especially gloomy now. It's just that I am nursing a series of cuts and bruises at the side of my mouth after falling hard face-first doing the standing broad jump item during today's mock napfa. In a rare moment of clumsiness I jumped at the wrong moment and found myself face down on the mat and the PE teacher said something to the effect of "are you jumping or diving?"—I was very touched by his concern and care.

After the next two jumps, and in my shock, missing the target by a centimetre, I happened to press my sleeve to my mouth and found bloodstains all over it. You know how in situations like these, the last thing on your mind is how bad you look? I asked Wei Shee, my CG mate, whether I was bleeding (a stupid question) and kind of pulled up my upper lip to expose my gums. I think I must have alarmed him a tad too much because I saw his eyes widen with horror, and immediately felt the bandages mummifying my face in a hospital surrounded by loved ones with a mirror in front of me and a smiling doctor gently telling me to unravel the strips of gauze to see how my facial reconstruction went.

Anyway, I continued bleeding all the way from Bedok to the dinner table and spent the evening shoveling food awkwardly through half-parted lips. I stopped bleeding briefly, and then everyone at home urged me to gargle my mouth with salt water, as if the pain and humiliation that I was still recovering from was not a punishment harsh enough for bungling a simple jump. I bled even more after that and slightly desensitized by the blood and gore, amused myself by doing Joker and Rihanna abuse picture impressions in the mirror.

So yep I had an exciting day.

Also, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO ANDREA!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
It's a little scary to think that we were bratty and juvenile 13 year old kids when we first became classmates in sec 1! Time flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment