Saturday, June 04, 2011

watching

Recently, just to pass the time on public transportation, I've taken to observing people's radial and ulnar veins and thinking that would be an awesome place for intravenous cannula insertion but I've gotta avoid that valve right there and then self-reflexively meditating on the "creepiness" vs. "practicality" of the idea. And then I'm also thinking if this bus exploded, who should I resuscitate first? The engineering student or the 97 year old lady? The pregnant woman or her hyperactive toddler? And then a secondary school level debate plays out in my head with the Deontological vs. Pragmatic clash being as dissonant as a dance-off at the Special Olympics. This is all happening while I'm listening to Beach House or Rilo Kiley. And did I just reveal too much of my internal landscapes, or what?

Anyway, for the past week, I'm re-imagining and reconstructing my life's narrative as an exciting surreal cartoon drama. (This genre doesn't really exist in real life due to market forces. I posit.) So: right now, here I am, arts-student-trying-to-write-poetry-turned-Emergency-Medical-Technician-with-blood-on-my-gloves getting flashbacks of my grandfather's bizarre stroke incident during patient-assessment training sessions. Meanwhile I am living life vicariously through friends and family, featuring sub-plots such as: V encountering romantic advances of the Continental kind with a French waiter in Paris, my parents using "the Face-book" to post pictures of their "HOORAY LET'S GET AWAY FROM OUR KIDS" vacation to Switzerland, A's earnest and heroic climb to military officership (because every good TV series needs an element of dramatic wartime action whether parodic or not), and J's quest for amazing thin-crust pizza (because every good TV series needs to indulge primal urges and using sex to sell a show is so turn-of-the-millennium.)

And I will end this post by saying: I hate watching out for the rain to stop when I'm dressed for picnics and beaches and sunscreen-wearing. OH LOOK, I've just written a post using paragraphs to reflect and refract the idea of Watching, which is foregrounded in the title, which even ends the prose with a curt allusion to the strained relationship between Man and Nature to reflect an ironic disparaging of the human condition, while parodying that self-conscious style of narrative, just for parody's sake. SOMEONE HIRE ME ALREADY.

No comments:

Post a Comment