Wednesday, January 11, 2012

sorghum

Just popped some pills. Hopefully I'll be fast asleep by the end of this post. (More hopefully, this thing should get itself published.)

Medical centre life now is quite happening, in a good way. There's this SYF-like competition among medical centres, and one of the components involves a simulation of a medical emergency, in which we evacuate an unconscious casualty back to the medical centre and attempt resuscitation. It's really fun because almost everyone's involved and there's a feeling of satisfaction (that is, of course, misplaced. But it's a feeling of satisfaction nonetheless.) I'm part of the ambulance team consisting of my senior and I, and despite feeling carsick every day at the back of the vehicle, with random medical equipment flying in all directions when we hit speed bumps, I think I am enjoying myself. It's overwhelmingly reminiscent of rehearsals, particularly that nostalgic combination of mental fatigue and physical strain. 

It misses the point of assessing emergency preparedness because it's entirely contrived, with an artificial scenario that oversimplifies the panic, confusion and mental preparation of an actual situation, but hey it's fun so who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment