Wednesday, October 21, 2009

rise like two angels in the night and magically disappear

I've just finished watching Mysterious Skin on Youtube and it is so horribly sad it makes you feel awful inside and then confused and then depressed when Samskeyeti plays and the characters become smaller and fade to black and the credits roll in and I want to curl up and die right here and right now.

Only I can't, because I have road marshall duties tomorrow for the 5 km event for Titans and this untimely death would really put a damper on the whole celebratory mood of the sports carnival.

Anyway, stories of child abuse never have happy endings. I look at their ways of coping and feel a huge immense sadness so vast it feels like an ocean had been compressed and shoved into my chest. This has also cemented Joseph Gorden-Levitt's position as My Favorite Actor (alongside Ellen Page as My Favorite Actress) because he is so crazy-good here.

In other news, PW is being such a hemorrhoid at the moment. If the science-arts divide is anything to be rueful about, it's the dumb retrograde insights that are better left unsaid (by Whoever He Was) i.e. the bitterness and veiled insecurities re: the command of the English language. For an arts class, your language is very poor. Fine - our language may not be perfect all the time, but I was so intensely offended by the need to mention that we are an arts class. Other tutors don't obsess about what stream their students are in; they simply note the potential differences in learning styles and adapt their teaching methods accordingly without bemoaning it day in and day out. See? It's simple.

When I become a struggling mid-level bureaucrat in the future, it's these pointless things that I will probably lobby against. The objectives are sound but the means are questionable. Education is an annoyingly human enterprise but it was education, again, which taught me say that.

Oh, teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment