Sunday, January 30, 2011

Foodie January II

YAY A GREAT STORM CLOUD HAS SHROUDED SINGAPORE IN A DEPRESSING THOUGH NEVERTHELESS FLUFFY SHEET OF GREY, which is perfect weather for warming foods like stews, braises, roasts, etc. (I am also beginning to sound like this food writer from ST, whose chirpy prose about twee eats grates me to no end.)

In view of the imminent Ice Age, I am very happy to have brief ownership of the Zuni Cafe Cookbook. I snatched it away from a rude librarian with thin lips and prominent and peculiar follicular scaling; our encounter over at Customer Service was fraught with passive-aggressive violence and the rapid darting of bitchy eyes. Anyway, the most important thing is that (1) I have the book and (2) I am going to cook from it. I also need to distract my domestic helper from the kitchen, because it is becoming apparent that she performs much better in non-culinary areas, and my grandparents' increasing distaste for her cooking is getting embarrassing and awkward. For example, my grandparents have taken to sending me out to buy lunch with the excuse that it's cheaper and tastier. My grandmother is getting pissed off at the lack of garlic in her meals. Oh well, wrinkly nonyas say the darnest things.

Anyway here's a list of things that I want to cook: (also included are recipes from Middle Eastern Bible that the debaters gave me, and Vegetarian with a Vengeance — a book I borrowed during a sudden desire to live meatlessly)

Braised fennel
Grilled asparagus with pistachio aïllade
Rosemary-roasted potatoes
Zuni roast chicken
Lentil–sweet red pepper soup with cumin and black pepper
Lasagne with leeks and gorgonzola
Falafel burgers with tahini dressing
Spiced pumpkin and tomato soup
Deep fried cauliflower

In related news, I love that it's raining and suddenly everyone's claiming that the weather's reflective of their inner landscapes + tweeting in cryptic verse + longing for the sun (perhaps also forgetting the discomfort of sweaty flannel and the heat-trapping ability of black leggings) + listening to sad bastard music. It's a very complex relationship that Singaporeans have with the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment