Thursday, January 27, 2011

Foodie January



Scenes from my birthday dinner. Iberico is wonderful. I would eat it everyday. On the other hand, I wouldn't eat carrot cake everyday.



Birthday presents from my favourite sister (with financial support from my mum) — Magnolia Bakery cookbook, Valrhona chocolate and recipe markers. Tears of gratitude.




Scenes from the making of Buah Keluak: we haven't actually cooked it yet. (!) I felt very ethnic blending these exotic Asian spices into an aromatic, spicy paste. Talk about cultural capital.



Sister and I went to Basilico for the End of Freedom Lunch. The food was amazing, and my toes involuntarily curled with pleasure. Yes, it was embarrassing. Also, we arrived at The Regent quite soaked from the sudden downpour along Orchard Road, after passing the Massimo Dutti store that became famous for its floating stock during The Great Flood of 2010. We were very amused by the nervous shop assistants inside.



I'm also baking sugee cake with my grandmother. This recipe comes from an ancient cookbook, My Favourite Recipes compiled by Ellice Handy and published by MPH in 1952, apparently sold as a fundraiser for the MGS building. It's like Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking but for genteel British Malaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment