Friday, May 16, 2008

On being annoyed that other people are annoyed that their friends are annoyed

I've drunk half a huge bottle of cool japanese iced black coffee.

Can't sleep. Must sleep.

!



I'm rediscovering this song by the Velvet Underground and Nico! Not that I'm a crazy 60s fan who goes "this was nothing like in the sixties when we thought the world could be beautiful for everybody and you don't know how wonderful it was etc. etc.", and then gives that glazed, stoned expression as if lost in some (weed-induced) daydream. It's just that it's a nice song and that it evokes a pleasant kinda feeling.

And in a similar "I love talking about the past" vein, my grandmother had decided to imbue a sense of the past in my sister and I. "People now don't learn by themselves," murmurs she, as I made a (freakishly-yummy) omelet for my lunch, "last time we had to learn everything on our own. Now, they need teachers. (insert random nonya-sounding grunt)" And I couldn't leave the room because I had to attend to the cooking, so I was trapped listening to a pointless, meandering diatribe, and the worst thing was, it felt like the zillionth time I've heard it.

So yes. Old/soon-to-be old people, please refrain from imposing the past on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment