Monday, February 09, 2009

press pause press rewind and then fast forward

I survived the first day of lectures! The economics introduction was actually interesting, confounding all my preconceptions of utter boredom and the purpose of my mint-buying. History was, uh, deafening. (My lecturers so far do not have very pleasant voices.) Chinese was very trying for both the lecturer and everyone else, because no one in their right mind really wants to do Chinese — the people in the row behind me were taking photos, and my seatmate draped himself over a span of two chairs in a sort of halcyon repose while getting some shut-eye.

Just a few minutes ago, I came across that old photograph of XM Chorale while checking updates on facebook. You know, that distinctive photograph taken in 2004 that lies sandwiched between a gleaming glass plane and a heavy felt back, secured only by pastel coloured heart-shaped clips? That frame that stands on the piano as if a last vestige from the "golden ages", reminding us of the passing of time?

It causes me to think how time is so fluid, like water, an entity so icy and devoid of emotion that it passes through the slits between my fingers without thought or a shred of sympathy for the effort I take in squeezing them together to cup them. I guess I really miss leaning against the soundproofing panels to hear the noise disappear into silence that in a sense promises me comfort and security, like the solace people find in warm baths.

No comments:

Post a Comment