Monday, May 29, 2006

My Sunday: A nearly-photographic journey

Last Sunday after church my family went shopping. Because it's the Great Singapore Sale now and we only go serious shopping during sales.

Random thing: Here's a picture of my sister reading a book while in church. It's by Nick Hornby. (the book, I mean)



Then I went to kinokuniya to buy more books. In a while you'll see Esther reading yet another book but anyway, we went to art-friend after that. It's so very big. But it's that way with art supply stores. I think the one here was bigger than the one at Bras Basar Complex. And there were other art and craft shops too. But another one that caught my eye was bookbinders which was just so cool, though they remind me also of Prints with their 30 dollar fabric notebooks and $90 fabric holders.

But really this post is more befitting of the title 'Praise for Art-Friend' because I LOVE this store. Here's just some of the stuff they have (which I discreetly took with an aging camera phone).




Just look at all those brushes! Better than Popular, I'd say.


And those sketchbooks and sheets of catridge paper and huge A2 drawing blocks and watercolor paper and oil painting pads and oil and soft pastel pads in three colors!


What can I say? (at this juncuture I realize that the 'W' key on my keyboard isn't working properly because it's rather desensitized and i have to stab it violently before it works. Stupid Ws.) Pantone markers by Letraset! And there's so much more really.

After visiting Bookbinders, I sat outside while waiting for my parents. And took this panorama thingy from the bench.


Then we went to Food Republic (that never seemed quiet) to attempt to find seat to have dinner. Well we found seats and my sister and I ordered beef noodles out of convenience because our dad was planning to buy beef noodles too. Okay, I was kinda expecting the Yoshinoya kind of beef but I was so. Seriously. Wrong. (I've led such a sheltered life—sigh)



This bowl of beef noodles MAY seem harmless and at the same time, sinfully delicious but—


It's just sinful. Well, delicious for a while until i bit into what seemed like a tongue (and rather long tastebuds. I knew it was a tongue because I could still distinguish its dissected muscles and tendons that looked like a drawing out of Gray's Anatomy). gah I can't get over that feeling of having two tongues simultaniously in my mouth. But tongues aren't so bad really. Until I sank my teeth into a soft and pleasantly chewy piece of meat (that wobbled and shone with all that sauce on). I guess my sister also fished out a fatty, oddly shaped thing from her bowl and asked my dad what it was, after the tongue-in-my-noodles scare. And to my horror he told her it was actually stomach. Now if there's something in the world that I wouldn't eat for a freakin googolplex of simoleons (besides liver or any insect with long and sometimes hairy legs), it's kway chap. And kway chap is kway chap because of its intestines and stomach and God-knows-what. And it tastes and looks really odd because the sauce that it's drenched in looks sorta like blood if you squint your eyes really hard and look through red cellophane paper. I don't even want to know that thing in the buttom of my bowl is. A heart? A lung? A spleen? Why am I even trying guess, anyway?

Up till here I haven't mentioned my mum. She was waiting for her famous Hokkien Mee somewhere 20 metres away while all this was happening. So finally after my dad bought drinks and one of the cleaning staff took away our empty and not-so-empty bowls, my mum returned, triumphant, with a plate of Oyster Omelet and her Hokkien Mee.

This is my sister reading another book: (at this point in time everyone's going to bed but she accidently turns off the switches for my internet connection.)


Then we went to Topmen because I was looking for a belt. And after spending nearly an hour in there, I finally decided on a $13 brown fabric belt, from my initial $40something faux-retro leather belt with white stripes on blue (which personally, I preferred). You know, if not for my parents, I would never have been able to spot flaws in design.

And these are some pictures of the returning-home process:








And this is the chocolate that I bought today when I went to Compasspoint after debate with Elizabeth and Hazel.



Yum ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment