Thursday, November 09, 2006

Intensives

I stand corrected— it wasn't an SL camp I went for. It was an Intensive, ie. no games all planning til at least 2 AM. But it was enjoyable, for most parts of it. I went to school thinking that I hated things like these but I left the Intensive enriched and encouraged.

And yes, the bigger picture. Sometimes we always fail to see that. It's always the case of putting too much focus into planning that we fail to see the more intangible results that we want.

I think the most memorable part of the camp, for me, would be my family group! The fun and effervescent BABA-rians!—Beh beh Minghao, Bu bu Sandra, Bibilaine, Bibigigi, Bibilana, Bibi Ruimin (and Bibi Samuel. That's me) and our BI BI BA BI BU! cheer. (I have to admit, I love that senseless but funky nonsense) At the last day of camp, we all hugged and cried. Nothing like that has really happened in a camp I've gone to. I guess it shows that we weren't ready to break so soon, I would have loved to spend another few days with them! Really! I love our whimsical sheep drawings on every mahjong paper we attacked, the strange conversations we would carry out during meal times, everyone's laughter when I lose in that hand-clapping-on-table game again (esp. when I made a mistake twice in a row while telling alanna that I would not lose. So we broke into this explosive laughter that people get when they are laughing at two things at the same time), our quirky dance moves and catwalk poses (posture!) and our passion for strawberry jelly.

Our lack of sleep turned us into zombies, especially after playing the Electric Fence activity. And then we had about 8 hours to prepare for a camp presentation, inclusive of coming out with a professional-quality dance item, group presentations and a few individual sharings. When I was up there giving my short speech, I tried to sound natural and sincere as possible. (and I was staring at the spaces above their heads, heh)

After our the camp presentation, we had dinner at close to 9 PM (there were only chicken wings left for non-spectators). And there was this impromptu mentor-mentee gathering at the swings outside the canteen suddenly. Which was evocative of other experiences under a starry sky in previous SL camps.

I must allude to the buffet-style meals we had throught the Intensive. It taught us teamwork and empathy towards the needs of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment