Tuesday, February 19, 2008

B-Movies

I'm supposed to be promoting the Natural Resources Conservation Service for English homework right now... on an online forum... for the module on Speech.

Ever given thought to the limitations of our water and soil supply?
Sorry, that was a really lame opening. I sound like a new Social Studies teacher trying to spread his enthusiasm to random sectors of the classroom, but failing miserably, and embarrassingly so.

Also have already promoted the WWF. And as I type this, my mum casually mentions how she had turtle soup for lunch today. My dad was like, oh, was it filling? (but more in a rather nonchalant way as he skimmed through the Singtel bills at the same time.) And I was like, ZOMG, LIKE OKAY, TURTLE SOUP IS SO SRSLY GROSS.

Which is oddly funny, because I remember scooping Ben & Jerry's Turtle Soup for my family after dinner, and wondering who would have thought of such a strange and disconcerting dish.

I wonder how turtle soup tastes like. Like Ba Kut Teh, only with tough, chewy meat and bits of green shell at the bottom of the bowl? I would imagine the broth to be slightly nutty, and quite peppery, with a slightly bitter herbal aftertaste. I can envision the soggy bits of fried shallots floating on the top of the soup, adhering themselves to the soup spoon with each slurp. And then, in the centre of the bowl, a single lump of mud-coloured flesh suspended in the opaque grey liquid.

And, if you peer closer, you may even be able to make out the slits where their tiny nails used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment