Monday, February 25, 2008

sunday afternoon along the river.


I wish I could add 'Seine' before I ended my title with a full-stop, but my fantasies of the ubiquitous romance and euro-centric charm associated with Parisian waterways still remain unfulfilled. In these few years, I will probably not be enchanted by eccentric grocers who run those quaint shops with red-and-white striped awnings, nor will I be enthralled by the bursts of fluorescence by the Eiffel Tower against the backdrop of the evening.

But despite my bitterness in the stolid face of reality, I am actually rather happy, since it has only just dawned on me that I am only 40 minutes away from the semi-famous Singapore River and its bourgeois dining scene. As I bit into a chocolate chip-studded scone (even though my dad insisted that real scones don't have those things in them) at Paisley and Cream at Central, I was suddenly overcome by epicurean urges to try everything on the menu, partly brought about by the clotted cream and raspberry jam that had a tangy sweetness that somehow managed to complement the rather crusty scone I was eating, and partly because they were playing Glenn Miller on the sound system and there was a framed photo of Maria Callas gazing past my shoulder.


We ordered Earl Grey tea, which wasn't half bad, and Iced Chai, which was rather disappointing for me, because I couldn't quite tell that there were actually spices in this milky concoction. The panna cotta was superb, but my joy only lasted for a short while before guilt crept in. I think my favorite item was the chocolate and vanilla cupcake.


Need I explain further?

No comments:

Post a Comment