Wednesday, December 24, 2008

my favourite kind of feeling

One hallmark of the 21st century is the capacity of the individual to broadcast information to 6 billion other individuals around the world, often by running to the nearest computer to type away furiously before hitting the send/publish button in a matter of minutes. This is one such instance.

I mentioned my Herculean task of preparing Christmas Eve dinner for my family (with the help of my mother thank God) last night/early this morning, and amazingly, things have worked out well! The mystery meat dish, by grace, worked out itself to be a fluffy and beefy shepherd's pie, the vegetable course that I left to divine providence became the wild arugula and pine nut salad with hyssop and sesame from Israel, and the roast chicken, in all its majestic succulence, came out of the oven as the angels wept from the heavens above. I also sautéed some eggplant as an afterthought and it wasn't half bad either. The mushroom soup, as usual, was nice and warming — perfect for a very rainy day. The roasted potatoes, chestnuts and onions were really good, but I'll have to stop here, else I'll end up lapsing into song.

As always, I have photographs! And as always, my grandparents, coming from the days of antiquity, were very puzzled by my shutterbug behaviour at the dinner table, in a very endearing way.







(Also: this collection of photos is dedicated to anyone eating alone on Christmas Eve, be it at a park bench in the rain, a noisy staff canteen, or beneath a quilted duvet nursing a cold. Don't say I'm a heartless and insensitive Scrooge!)

Am I loving the weather now, or what? It's so cool and rainy.

No comments:

Post a Comment