Sunday, December 14, 2008

my roman holiday (ii)

Day 4


Qumram, where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered. Its aridity and desert conditions sun-dried my skin despite me cowering under the flimsy shade of my jacket draped over my head. 

The Dead Sea!


The water was cool and inviting - a pleasant respite from the scorching sun if not for the early sunset at 4 pm and the freezing winds. I floated in the water, but forgot to bring a book to do that touristy "Hey I'm reading in the Dead Sea!" thing that is always a huge conversation starter. Due to the freakishly high mineral content in the water, the small abrasion I had on my little toe stung like concentrated phosphoric acid was splashed over it and then mopped up with salted lemon peels. OK, maybe I exaggerate. The pain makes you feel alive. (There were also more salt crystals than sand, which fascinated me to no end.)




We went back to the hotel to spend the rest of the day at the spa! Saunas are really relaxing. Steam rooms are... steamy. I couldn't breathe properly and spent the entire 10 minutes inside worrying about drowning in the steam and the staff finding my body crumpled on the floor the next morning. Also, I've never seen so many muffin tops in one room in my entire life. 

Day 5


I'll start with breakfast. Lots. Of. Cheese. <3
The second plate is the most unhealthy I've had yet: pasta with heavy cream and a huge dollop of creamed cheese on my alfalfa after a split seconds' contemplation. Yum :D

Masada. We were about 300 m below sea level during this stretch of the journey, too.

Anyway I'll stop here for now because I have a long week of sleepless nights ahead of me! I'll complete the unfinished businesses when I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment