Thursday, February 08, 2007

Chicken

OK, I'm rather bummed about always ending up in a school that's in some sort of a financial hussle. Dang! (Now to avoid JCs that see budget-cuts as a routine, termly kinda thing.)

I can't wait for next week, because that's when the first prelim round of the JGs are over, and hopefully I would get to return home from school before 6pm. Besides, I don't mind the new clothes and ba gua (until one starts to rapidly gain weight without any increase in height whatsoever).

I was walking to NUS Law Faculty with Angeline, Andrea and Mingting the other day when I happened to find myself realizing that many things about my school were inadequate (or more fittingly, things that should be in a top autonomous, band 1, school excellence award recepient institution were missing.) But before I start to ramble like Grandpa Simpson's random war tales, I shall disclaim: in no way am I saying that the school compound is the smallest and the worst in Singapore; I am merely voicing out a town-planning tragedy. But whatever–

I would rather have a school situated on a hill overlooking the sea/river/canal, since most breeze comes from areas where such bodies of water are situated. I feel almost claustrophobic while playing soccer in a petit-sized field surrounded by gargantuan blocks of flats that seem crammed haphazardly together, especially when they are now in a mass of random lines and colours.
But I wish there was a large grassy slope with towering trees to have picnics/random gatherings under the shade, like in those American Colleges. And preferably, the exterior of the building should be brick and cream with black cast iron baulstrades. I'm tired of all the new-fangled glass and concrete structures that force students to work in such a cold and industrial environment. It's so imposing, shudder.

But at the most basic level, there should be adequate spaces for CCAs, extra classrooms and lecture theatres to avoid having to ursurp the rooms of other departments, and to avoid facing a shortage of venues in spite of all the activities. It would be really cool if there was an Aesthetics Block where we can have our own concert auditorium (where the acoustics are good enough to avoid having to use microphones) with a large, accomodating backstage, random scattered small performing spaces, a few soundproofed recital/practice/dance studios for multi-purpose use, dedicated rooms for each individual performing arts group, and a library where we can keep books on artsy subjects to develop higher order spatial-temporal reasoning.
And then there should be a Science block that has an electron microscope! That would be so so so cool. With lecture theatres where students can walk off to learn, I dunno, experimental physics and astrochemistry?

And it shall offer subjects beyond the scope of Singapore's narrow-minded education system. Like Zizhao's school, I want them to offer anthropology, mathematics, literature, economics, linguistics (my dad's doing sociolinguistics/applied linguistics and it's really really interesting), film studies/film criticism, philosophy, theatre, dance, music and journalism. I'm so tired of being bound to studying for O levels' sake. I'd rather study out of interest (but then again, there are not many incentives to study left, then)

OK, yes, I've rambled enough to piss people off.
All the best to the JGs speakers tomorrow! Go Xinmin! :D

1 comment:

  1. Greetings fellow chorister/chorale fan!
    I am immensely grateful for the Jaakobin Pojat clips - but like you said, nothing can beat hearing it live in performance.
    I am from Crescent Girls' school, spending my last year there this year, and yeah, facing the most dreaded battle everyone fights at the end of four years in secondary school, this year, too.
    How will I describe it? It feels like being tossed into the raging sea without life vessels. I guess much of it boils down to independence, brains, and lots of hard, hard work if you want to emerge victorious.

    It all sounds so cliche, doesnt it.

    Anyway, aside with the self-pity and whatnot, I strongly concur with the 2nd last paragraph of this post, its incredible how the government doesn't seem to see the "scope of Singapore's narrow-minded education system" when it is so so apparent to the whole student population. It's crazyyy. I know I'm being really pro-singapore right now and I'm sorry I can't help it; it gets on my nerves when I think about it - the trials and sufferings and denied rights that we have to face everyday - well -

    Have a nice week ahead. Sorry for the rant.

    ReplyDelete