Sunday, May 27, 2007

Liberating the fat from flesh

Water tastes sweet when you're suffering from extreme thirst, and music starts to become the soundtrack of your life when you're running in the park. I saw the branches entangling and veiling the sunlight to filter it in streams of light and warmth that you would briefly brush past while side-stepping the twigs and yellow blossoms. What a lark! What a plunge! — Clarissa Dalloway's Victorian/Edwardian-era comments seemed rather approriate at that moment, if and only if I was wearing a suit and top hat, while waving my stick around in an ambling, nonchalent fashion, probably. And my run ended when I collapsed straight into the wall of the lift.

Saw K.K. Seet in the newspapers today! Had a fright and nearly choked on my caramelized biscuits; day was nearly ruined. He has a partner and went to Pattaya, bought a house, and made flowery literary comments about the whole irony of things in his own distinct flamboyancy. But I shouldn't be presenting myself as being too homophobic should I?

I seriously loved this week! We won all three rounds in the LISHA-SBL prelims, and then on Thursday the literature class organized a trip to watch A Midsummer Night's Dream (in which everyone in the company had really cool hair and costumes, and impeccable pronunciation).



But before reaching the WRONG gate, a few of us went shopping to buy dinner/supper for the rest of the class. (Literature class: Mrs Koh hands me back the $72 that I had collected from my class and tells me to buy food with it and our eyes started gleaming at the thought of running loose at carrefour purchasing anything we fancied.) Met Christabel and Anqi while going down the escalator, realized that there's a difference between An-QI and An-CHEE, then met Jeremy at the entrance to Plaza Singapura.

At carrefour, we tried getting a trolley out but they wouldn't budge even after putting a one-dollar coin in, so we had to resort to using the slightly bigger, almost industrial-sized ones that I had difficulty maneuvering round sharp corners (particularly at the deli section, where the amalgamation of fickle minds caused... much laughs). Then, Limin, Joey and Debbie managed to catch up while we were perusing the drinks sections and while everyone else darted in opposite directions (to try to hide), I just HAD to be the one caught in the middle with a trolley the mass and mobility of the national stadium.



So, after the (rather pointless) chase, we bought $78 worth of supermarket produce and spent the next 45 minutes lugging out plastic bags to Fort Canning. Where we got lost. And felt immense fear when Joey went off to call Mrs Koh at the remote and I-Know-What-You-Did-Last-Summer-oblique-Nightmare-On-Elm-Street-esque Fort Gate (refer to photograph), and while taking photos, we heard a thunderous tenor voice coming from the ruins and all of us sort of freaked out, thinking that it was Joey transmuting into something strange/Joey being kidnapped by an over-zealous opera singer/Another strange ghostly encounter at Fort Canning, as usual.



We realized that we were at the wrong ticketing booth (we happened to find ourselves at the VIP-only area) so we had to retrace our steps to meet Mrs Koh, where, we, sigh, the commoners, had to queue up just to enter. And they branded our wrists with their evil blue-inked stamps! But having said that, it's still true that everyone had really nice hair (that wouldn't be appropriate in an image-conscious school) and intriguing costumes that might have warranted a PG-13 rating.

Ohhh yeah, A Midsummer Night's Dream was quite a pleasant show. Emma Yong's speech and voice is so articulate and perfect! However, I felt that the first part didn't have the adequate brevity it should have been given, being too confusing and lengthly for Shakespearen virgins like us. There were some moments of humour when Hermia whipped out her cellphone to call Lysander, and when Hermia and Helena started playing super-kiddy handclapping games. There were also moments of confusion, especially when Oberon was carried up and there was an arm that extended from his behind to support his crotch, which was glaringly phallic and I caught some parents looking rather flushed and uncomfortable. Otherwise, the play was quite family-friendly and cosy, with its stage that extended to where the audience was seated/picnicking.



On Friday, I went jamming with Cheekit, Gracie, Valerie, Stephanie and Christine (and Jeremy was supposed to go as well). We had to change our uniform tops, for obvious reasons, and made our way to Four Tones Music at Clarke Quay, finding ourselves at a seedy-looking flight of stairs up a narrow shophouse that smelt like stale cigarette smoke, testerone and expired curry puffs. The studio, however, was very cosy and had a rather boho vibe to it. We arrived there at about 3 I think, and we were told to wait for about 45 minutes due to a power failure (I think?)

Well, so we went to the nearby Han's Foodvillage to kill time, and I had my lunch. I ordered an Aglio olio something and it was really spicy.





And this was just one of the many exciting desserts I had last saturday! (and email me if you want the photos. And no, I don't do MSN file-transfers because I rarely use MSN and file sharing through IM is just so below me, haha.)



There were macaroons! And the tiramisu was drenched in Marsala wine and rum and tasted really authentic, especially when every bite released liberal amounts of alcohol that gave one a temporary high. Truly, wonderfully, satisfying.
After lunch, watched a debating disaster at library@orchard but went down to art friend halfway through. Made my way to NAFA to meet Elizabeth, Ruimin, Limin and Joey to go for the NJC Aristol concert at Ngee Ann Poly, which was really an eye-opener (though some dances were not as co-ordinated as wished). Joey didn't have a ticket! And Nicole arrived with the Shaker Fries Of Relief And Nourishment!



Ruimin and Elizabeth! They look like they're in a frosty airport at dawn. Airport Photographs, I have realized, need to have (i) A dark background to give the illusion of a freezing morning/night, (2) Props like sweaters, scarves, shawls, cardigans and the like. Ear muffs might be a little overkill. And (3) wide smiles, slightly sleepy eyes, and hair that is oh-so-lightly ruffled, to suggest a long-haul flight but still enough to let some radiancy and enthusiasm seep through.




Nice, eh. There was this dance by the winners of an anti-drug competition that was really cute, and the impressive performance by the Indian GWH Dance. There were quite avant-garde performances that I liked as well, from the Chinese Dance and Malay Dance that added some sophistication, albeit diluting tradition with Western influences. Western dance had this contemporary piece that I felt was one of the better dances (but of course i am but a mere, casual observer and dance is but an acquaintance that laughs at my inflexibility so I shall leave Elizabeth to mock my lame review -.-)

No comments:

Post a Comment