Wednesday, May 02, 2007

MT Papers of Disaster

Ever get that feeling that you're writing utter rubbish in the middle of an exam? I'm glad that most of my chinese papers are over and I can now forget about speaking in mandarin because frankly my head is about to burst. On a traumatizing ride back home, I was subjected to a painful speech that Lee Hsien Long made in mandarin and it sounded remotely like a cross between German (if one could close one's ears to avoid the temporary impairments it would make) and a pig in heat. But of course, it isn't easy for someone more fluent in English to fake fluency in mandarin, and I can sympathise, for obvious reasons. I have yet to find someone who can speak English and mandarin without sounding like a cholera victim halfway through. Perhaps it can be the holy grail of the linguistic world, I don't know.

Sister's friends are over in my kitchen making their onde onde. Their giggly noisies and incessant squealing reminds one of the embarrassing sec 1 days, when wearing socks barely visible above the shoes was considered cool and everyone was spiking their hair even though it was supposed to be centre-parting-straight-cut. Gross!

Anyway she owes me $10 and I fear that I may forget her ever increasing debts one day, some day. Probably when I reach thirty, I'll suddenly remember, while staring blankly at the mirror a la Harry Whatshisname in Spiderman 2, and go berserk, wild with impatience accumulated over the years.

I hear their strange contorted noises from the kitchen as I type and I cannot help but feel a little envious of their fellowship, or something.

I hate my new blogskin but I can't seem to find a better one :(

No comments:

Post a Comment