Sunday, April 29, 2007

I love exams

Chinese Oral last Friday was painful to say the very least. Perhaps it was remotely amusing to my examiner, who could not help but guide me along the way, explaining the different terms in the conversation topic as if I was Malawian and she was speaking in Java code. That was solely out of sympathy I should think, and yes—I wanted to cry— once upon a time, I took higher mother tongue so stop this torture already. But she happened to be a friend of my dad's so she already knew how atrocious my chinese was. I am ever-greatful to her as well, because she kept nodding after I made a point and it was really encouraging, even though I could see in her eyes that she didn't really understand what I was rambling about.

I'm listening to music podcasts from radio stations like MPR and KEXP and I must say I love their song selection. At least it's something I can study too, cos hey hey you you I don't like your music now, Avril.

Last evening, my sister and I spent 2 and a half hours making popcorn. We used butter instead of cooking oil, and the butter started to burn out, and the kernels hardly ever popped. Then, we finally used sunflower oil and the kernels finally burst with whatever strange fluffy goodness they had within. But of course, only a small minority in today's high fructose corn syrup infused society can take plain popcorn, so we had to make the caramel for the popcorn. I accidently added butter to the sugar, so you can guess what happened in the end. But we managed to sweeten the popcorn in the end and we're proud of our awesome browned calorie-packed trash.

Today, we ate some French Vanilla and Tiramisu Gelato from NTUC (I suspect it's faux, but it still tastes pretty good anyway) and our guilt-ridden conscience dictated that we do some cardio in the park. My sister had a very difficult/traumatizing/memorable experience. I noticed that a portion of Bishan Park had been turned into a spa.

Speaking of spas, I really wonder how Andrea's facial went. (Hilarious mental image of terrified first-time facial trainee trembling with apprehension comes to mind) My sister was quite envious (but highly amused, of course) when I told her of his metrosexuality bordering on homosexuality. Ok. She wasn't envious at all about the homosexual part. Then I started to wonder whether metrosexuality is just another passing fad when enlightened and empowered women of today would rather seek sensitive and submissive young men, so, ergo, it's better to appear uber-styled and tres chic than hairy and masculine. I find the traditional gender roles in society becoming more reversed, so is this a sign of a society that is evolving? Will gender equality ever be attained? I think society is too amoral for its own good.

Seriously, I'm quite excited about the exams, especially studying and having all that new stationery in my pencilcase. (is gleeful)

No comments:

Post a Comment