Monday, October 06, 2008

it has a beat and you can dance to it


(pardon the strange photograph of our leftover satay sauce. It was one of the very few pictures I took before the camera died on me, as it always does.)

Have just come back from serangoon gardens! We had a 401 class gathering and dinner at chomp chomp (currently The Place to have class gatherings for the painfully hip and trendy), and I've never seen so much lard in a plate of hokkien mee before. It was pretty disconcerting.

After dinner, the 16ish of us traipsed around the area and headed eventually to maju mall, where we fooled around with the rickety elevator (and I practised the art of rapid disassociation from large groups). I couldn't help but wonder how the residents felt, because some of their homes were in such close proximity to the eateries that their plants seemed affected by the air quality and smell of that place. Anyway, I found Astons, which I heard has pretty decent Western fare. (When I say "Western fare", all that comes to mind are cheesy red checkered tablecloths and limp chicken chops drowning in a flood of brown sauce, which doesn't do the place justice, really.) Also saw haato, which as really awesome ice cream. I like the milk tea one!!

Having embarrassed ourselves in public to the point of satiety, and feeling a little peckish already, we went to the usual dessert place where the painfully hip and cool go to after dinner at chomp chomp. (ice^3=ice cube geddit? geddit?) Shared the butterscotch mudpie thingy with Jeremy, and sampled a little from Kaihong, Hansi, Huiting and Cheekit's "Ring of Fire" ice cream platter. (So many people, so little ice cream.) Jeremy and I attempted to recreate the 401-superman hybrid logo on our class tee with the block of butterscotch ice cream, with hilarious results. No one knew it what it was! But pictures will follow soon, once I get hold of them.

It was a really fun outing! I think I'll be coming back soon for Astons and haato... will try to convince parents who have very Asian palates to take us there!

Also: Has anyone tried those honey cherry tomatoes from ntuc fairprice that come in plastic cups? I am very addicted to them right now, GM or not. I'm hoping it's some heirloom variety, but as if that would really happen in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment