Tuesday, October 28, 2008

smelly foods

Okay this is rather odd — I'm starting to get a little crazy about cheese. Not the Day-glo orange Kraft singles or the very suspect puddle of molten cheese that comes with my nachos, but the kinds that come in exotic rinds and could possibly smell worse than, oh I don't know, an athlete's foot sufferer running through a field of rotting durians towards a hot spring. (Then again, perhaps not.) I want my cheese blue veined and ash-streaked. I want it to crumble over a crusty toasted baguette slice when I spread it, and I want to taste how salty and pungent and revolting it is when I sink my teeth past the soft curd and into hot crackling bread. I also wouldn't mind reading about how they wrap it with cherry leaves/dried peppers/hay and inject it with blooming fungi.

Today, I wanted my cheese soft with a white, velveteen-like coat. Hence the camembert for supper, and all its unctuous, gooey and flowing texture. It is really flavourful, and upon first bite, you'll feel the soft rind crumble in your mouth to mix with the delicate, woody notes that become slightly sweet and salty and creamy. Gah, I so love camembert.

And the next smelly food is the batch of aioli I made. I wouldn't really deem it smelly, but it is pungent because of all the garlic in it.

Anyway, in the spirit of tomorrow's physics paper,


xkcd


(Afterthought: I do not know where to insert this in my post - I thought history paper today was manageable, somewhat fun. Methinks there was a dangerous amount of room for feminist manifestos against the Nazis though, heh.)

No comments:

Post a Comment