Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I need to get neuroimage-ed

Feeling headache-y yet again. The weather's warm and the humidity is starting to form an unpleasant sticky layer over one's skin, and the warm weather makes everyone's faces shiny and pimple-prone. Did I mention that I have a headache? I'm having a sore throat now as well, but it only comes as a dull but intense pain when I swallow. I don't adapt well to environments like this.

The American Embassy was fortress-like. We were hurried in person by person by a temperamental security guard, and during the 4 seconds that passed when I was ushered into the screening room, I noticed the cold, office-like quality of this room, and how the metal scanners juxtaposed the soft cream wallpaper (or perhaps it was a blur of colours that was a result of my having litle time to stop and appreciate... I dunno, quirky and patriotic patterns?). I felt ushered into a world of maximum security and paranoia, and minimum free-time, since I saw officers rushing around, only stopping for split-seconds to look intently at the trolley at the side of the corridoor as a faster means of transport.

And today, I had encountered the heaviest door in my entire life. It was metallic and shiny, even resembling the MRT platform doors in a way. I pressed the lever to open it but the door was so unusually heavy, I had to use both my hands and body weight. (I think that's why the staff around here have unusually muscular arms.)

This was followed by a hour-and-a-half-ish-long talk by the diplomats there. I have to allude to the ergonomic and thoughtfully-designed chairs in the small auditorium; their springy back-supports were so original. I think Xinmin should be getting a truckfull of these (that is, once we get a budget of like $50 million from the MOE, though that sort of windfall only happens in our dreams of course). I think the questions raised for the diplomats were very thoughtful and relevant (though not particularly ingenious but I was still an appreciater of their ability to expound on sensitive topics, like FTAs and conflicts between self and working for the nation's interest.)

OK I'm addicted to the chocolate pastry rolls from the high school's canteen but it is not doing anything for my throat, sadly. And this morning, I was too much in pain to voice out the rejection of a sardine-puff for breakfast.

I have to look for all my teachers tomorrow to explain why I can't perform on Friday and how I can't go for Maths Olympiad on Thursday and whether I can reschedule all my tests on later dates. Dare I sit for all of them at one painful shot?

I need to look for a pepper-spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment