Thursday, March 15, 2007

On songs

I think sometimes song preference is closely linked to how it evocates a particular emotion or atmosphere in a listener. For example, I like listening to 'I'm Just A Kid' by Simple Plan occasionally because it reminds me of the times in Perth with the choir (normally, I would shun punk rockers).

And then again, sometimes it takes the form of 3rd party emotion, like when a particular character in a TV show experiences something and that music is playing which adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the whole feel of things. E.g. when Lorelai Gilmore sits in the hospital as she's getting into labour in 1984, she puts on her walkman and 99 Luftballons by Nena is playing. Which gives everything a coating of nostalgia and further intensifies the eighties vibe.



My sister seems to have inherited my penchant/curse for becoming too 'helpful'. In a sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment