Monday, July 21, 2008

the beauty of labour




(Tragically, globalisation did not come out as an examination topic.)



Smoked salmon on garlic cracker! My favourite kind of picnic food. The scruffy and yappy terrier behind was eyeing me, in a not-so-pleasant way.





Photos of meringues:





The meringues came out beautifully browned and caramelised ever so slightly (read: a little burnt). Just one egg white managed to produce around 10 of these! Plus, I made them on a rainy, humid day, and everyone who writes about meringues advise against making them on a rainy, humid day.

I was pleased to have them turn out so nicely, despite (i) accidently pressing the microwave function, which incurred the immediate berating of my bystander grandmother who shook a damning finger at the oven, expecting the meringues to turn out miserable and wretched (I haven't been too fond of her prescience, which isn't exactly well-known anyway), and (ii) making them on a rainy, humid day, which apparently was the source of all meringue failures of rainy, humid days past.

It's funny how baking successes always come when there's no fundraising/festive-gifting left to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment