Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 4 of Prelim Exams

Am barely surviving!

EL paper 2 was riddled with errors. They did not bold the vocabulary words in passage B. I am not finding this inconsistency resulting in a slight asymmetry in the structure of the passages particularly pleasing! The passages were easy though. They were both about deserts and camels and the wonderful resourceful bushmen who use hollow reeds to draw water out of the ground and then swirl it around in their mouths before sloshing it back in ostrich eggshells for the rest to drink. Uh, gross. (another "oh, those poor mrunas!" moment.)

E. Maths was fairly okay, but I screwed up my time-management and ended up having no time to go back to the questions in front that I skipped! (out of panic) I'm kinda looking forward to the prospect of spending time at mathematics boot camp after prelims.

Funny: the moment I put down my pen, I was told to leave the hall "IMMEDIATELY NOW AT ONCE", because I was supposed to support Cheekit in the pesa finals. I packed up all my stuff and in a daze, I trudged along the matrix-like tables and felt the entire level glueing their eyes on me and wondering why I could leave so early. As if I cheated or something. And I went down and we left for YMCA, and barely 10 minutes after scribbling my last answer on the answer sheets, I was on the CTE (I think) headed towards Town. (Why do people refer to this area as "Town"? It is redolent of brick townhouses with marble cladding and men in bowler hats and suitcases walking about briskly etc. but it is never the case.)

Anyway, Cheekit ranked third in the finals! It's a pretty big deal because we've never entered top 3 before. Hooray! \:D/
And impromptu round is so much more interesting to watch than the prepared rounds. Prepared speeches sound as if they were rehearsed to death, with every consonant enunciated—spat out, more like—and every gesture so meticulously controlled they became so contrived. The impromptu round was far more exciting.

I hate the papers tomorrow. My two worst-performing subjects, A Maths and Physics, have come back to taunt me like a pair of evil little children intent of bringing me to ruin. Hence, I shall have plenty of chocolate on standby, increasing the amount of glucose in my bloodstream, hence supplying more energy to my brain! (As well as all that about insulin from my pancreas that stores the excess glucose as glycogen in my liver cells blah blah blah it's not bio yet.)

And still no call yet! My anticipation is cooling down.

No comments:

Post a Comment