Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 8 of Prelim Exams

I was free the entire day to do some major cleaning up in preparation for my sister's host-buddy, who will be arriving in approximately 2 hours' time.

Anyway, I was mildly pissed when I noticed the clock when I woke up. It was 10 am! 3 potentially productive hours had already passed as I slumbered. I can never wake up before 10 am on an off day.

I was planning to bake chocolate fondants today, because I have been craving chocolate the entire week. But far more important than that, I had once sworn to learn how to bake moist chocolate cakes after That Cake Shop Near The 88 Bus Stop (name never quite remembered) closed down! And for a spectacle shop too! There are too many spectacle shops around!




The first one I tried turned out very nice and even. I was shaking with joy. (well kinda)


But to my dismay, which later descended into horror, the insides weren't soft enough!! I had overcooked it!! (But it made for a really good chocolate cake!)


I sampled one from the second batch, where I watched the oven with as much paranoia and anxiety as a broker observing stock market fluctuations. This batch turned out more molten on the inside, and the chocolate lava was ensconced in this really moist, rich cake.


And when I cut into it, all the chocolate flowed out! Sadly, this was only the case for about 4 of the 12 timbales that were baked. I think it would have worked better had I actually had proper ramekins to work with, rather than cupcake moulds. But I guess I'm pretty stoked that I can make chocolate fondant! Nigella Lawson, eat your heart out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment