Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Education. Studies. "Your Future".

I haven't been doing anything remotely fulfilling, but pouring over random information that has been categorised and compartmentalised to death, devoting every module of life to excess worrying and becoming overwhelmed by guilt when time is spent not studying. I am no longer allowed to lead a life out of school.

Can't people study for the sole purpose of the acquisition of knowledge? Can't we please be myopic for *once* and forget about what is to come in the future, of employment opportunities and other socioeconomic consequences? Isn't there a way to break free from becoming another faceless product of society?

The reason why I preferred studying in sec 1 and 2 was because I didn't look at the piles of textbooks and notes and go, "well, so there's more stuff to regurgitate, and I feel so bad I'm not reading them now". We could explore concepts with open minds! We didn't have to ask whether it was in our syllabus, and whether we should still bother with it if it wasn't going to be in the O levels. We dared to prod and stumble in the process then; yet presently everyone views getting hurt as a confidence-bruiser that will likely cost you a pleasant L1R5 aggregate.

And yes, I am aware of the fact that we live in a globalised world, where everything is interconnected and it's that truly sickeningly proverbial "dog-eat-dog world", etc., but I've yet to eat all that shit up. Will end diatribe here.

Anyway, today's MT LC was not as ideal as I would have liked it to have been. There were few straightforward questions and most required some inferencing and common sense (which we usually lose in the course of worrying about the answer, which is, omg, worth 2 marks).

However, what really took the cake was the invigilator who kept adjusting his digital wristwatch throughout the entire thing. Considering the fact that he cared more about chronological accuracy than his invigilation responsibilities and, duh, the importance of silence in the LC exam, the entire audacity of this action in a national examination was more astounding than the frustrating distraction it had caused.

Now that that's off my chest, and that I have partaken in a fair dose of catharsis, I shall now deign to return to—sigh—my A maths practice paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment