Sunday, August 10, 2008

Happy accidents

I will now vow to only make dinner for people who can respond to their food, instead of watching them passively slurping and chewing on the victuals only to remind them firmly, making veiled references to a suppressed enragement, that I had spent the last few hours roasting eggplant and tomatoes, combining eggs and oil into mayonnaise, and tossing pasta, while everyone else was watching the olympics, and MY HOW ROBUST THE FLAVOURS ARE OH YES IT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE I'VE BEEN WATCHING THE OVEN FOR AN HOUR so why don't you take a damn sip and say something?

Will rule out "charity soup kitchen staff" from List of Potential Holiday/Gap-Year Jobs. Will also realise that career as chef will never take off unless one has kindness and patience.

Anyway, having used guesstimation and agaration throughout most of the entire process, I am happy—no, ecstatic—to report that I've made the most wonderful vegetable-based soup that I've ever had, ever. It's a roasted tomato and eggplant kinda affair. You toss them in oil, roast them and then sweat them. After that, I took out my new immersion blender and made the soup smoother but still yielding some chunkiness from the vegetables. Of course, you have to add other herbs along the way as well.

I've also made some mayonnaise, using the recipe that came with the blender, translated into all the languages of the EU. The mayonnaise was alright; you are supposed to add in your own seasonings and stuff. I added dill and wasabi, because it was supposed to go with the tonkatsu I was reheating in the oven. Washing up was terrible.

I am not free tomorrow. I have a photo shoot (those family portrait things), which people usually do after they graduate (er, I think). The last one I took was in P4 and I wore my band uniform and it would be severely humiliating for me if it was hanging on the wall right now. We are required to wear something colourful tomorrow and I am hoping that there will not be, but totally anticipating, the cheesy themes and poses that they sometimes order you to do. Like I'll probably be holding a psp and my sister, a handbag, and we'll be wearing expressions that could end the world by nuclear fallout if each frown line was a little explosion.

No comments:

Post a Comment